The summer (March to May) temperature does not cross the 33°C mark but the mean temperature ranges from 20°C to 24°C. The brief winter, which lasts from November to February, has temperatures plummeting to 14°C. Monsoon is erratic, but it generally rains from June to September. In some areas of the Sahyadris or Western Ghats, frost is common and temperatures touch the freezing point during the winter months.
The tropical and subtropical Western Ghats is made up of moist broadleaf forests that include montane rainforests, moist deciduous forests and dry deciduous forests.
What to wear
Summer – Comfortable cotton clothing and shoes. Forest friendly colours like khaki, olive green, brown and beige are recommended. Please avoid bright coloured clothing.
Monsoon and winter – Waterproof jackets and full sleeve woollen sweaters. Gumboots (Rubber boots or Wellingtons) would be helpful in high rainfall areas like Sakleshpur.
What to carry
You need to carry your personal medicines, hat or cap, a pair of binoculars and your choice of a camera.
- Dress in neutral or light coloured clothes when planning jungle safaris.
- Carry a pair of binoculars, as this will help you spot a lot of birds and lesser mammals.
- If accompanied by children, carry water and some snacks (biscuits, chocolates…) for the safari.
Extremely useful in keeping the young quiet.
- Please do maintain silence in the jungle and teach accompanying children to keep quiet.
- Advise the cook in advance of any food allergies you or a member of your group may have.
- Please park your vehicles at the designated place in an orderly fashion.
- Carry your personal medication with you, as availability in nearby towns is questionable.
- As we are close to the Nagarhole forest, it’s not uncommon for elephant, wild dog, tiger, leopard or gaur to come to certain locations of Machaan. Please do not walk around or go down to the lake at twilight or after dark unless accompanied by staff.
- Please avoid any activity that affects or destroys the environment and our natural resources.
- All Machaan locations are ‘no plastic’ zones. We would appreciate your avoidance of plastic.
- If you really wish to listen to music, please use your headphones.